August 11, 2017 • Contributor: The Cricut Team
Along with the unveiling of the Cricut Maker, our revolutionary machine that will greatly expand your crafting possibilities, we are incredibly pleased to announce our new partnership with Simplicity. Since 1927, they have provided printed patterns that opened up the world of sewing to many more people. Instead of having to figure out how to create their own design, crafters could now just pick up one by Simplicity. Many used these patterns to sew their own clothes, decorate the home, and even open businesses that helped them provide for their families.
Traditionally, sewing involves several time-consuming steps just to get your fabric ready.
- First, you cut out the pattern included in the envelope. Since there can be several sizes included, you have to make sure you get the right one and find all of the pieces.
- Next, you get to pin it to your fabric, making sure you place it just right to use the least amount of fabric and keep it on the grain (the direction the threads run in the fabric) lest it stretch out while you're trying to sew.
- The third step is to cut it all out. You have to keep your hand steady and follow the pattern exactly.
- Finally, you unpin everything and put the pattern away. Naturally, it's difficult to ever get it to fit back into the envelope again.
Welcome to the Future of Sewing
With this new partnership, cutting out your fabric is a breeze! Simply go into Design Space, choose the Simplicity pattern that you wish to make, and place the fabric onto the mat according to the directions. The Cricut Maker will take care of the cutting for you! Put in one of our new washable fabric pens and it will also mark up how the different pieces should go together.
The world of sewing is poised to grow exponentially! Check out some of the ways:
- Parents can teach their children how to sew at an early age.
- Crafters who had to give up cutting out fabric due to injury or illness can enjoy their favorite hobby again.
- People who were previously intimidated by the intricacies of sewing can be emboldened to give it a try.
- Small sewing business owners can streamline their production.
Check out some of the cute patterns that we already have up and keep watching for the hundreds that we will be adding as we continue to work with Simplicity.
We are so excited for the opportunity to bring digital versions of Simplicity's patterns to the sewing world and can't wait to see what you make!
What is your favorite new Simplicity pattern in Design Space? Which ones do you want to see added? Tell us in the comments below!